Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Kink in the Road...

Today was "supposed" to be our closing day. We were going to sign the deed of our house over to the new owner. We spent the weekend moving and cleaning. Last night we stayed at the house til nearly 11 finishing up. It was a little bittersweet pulling out of the driveway for the last time.

Well it may not be the "last" time...

This morning we got a call from our realtor saying that there was going to be a hold up. The lender of the new-to-be-owner needed a letter from his new employer before they could finance him. Why they waited til the last possible minute is unknown to me, but they did.

On Sunday we allowed the new owner to move some of his stuff into the garage. He was moving from out of town and needed to unload his truck.

This morning shortly after we got news about the delay of closing, we got a call from the new owner. He wanted to come get "some stuff" out of the garage. That didn't seem weird to us at the time. We figured he had to get some papers or something.

Then we started to get suspicious. Matt was on the road, going to one of his customers. Me and Holden (btw, we are living with my Dad right now) went to the house to check out the garage. We were going to see if his stuff was still in there. If it wasn't, that would be a pretty big sign that this sell might not go through.

I opened the garage and lo and behold it was COMPLETELY EMPTY. I was so shocked. There had been so many times when this could of gone wrong: during the appraisal, or the inspection, or any of those times. But it happened on the day. of. closing.


I don't know what to think right now. I don't know what will happen.

Our realtor called the might-not-be-new-owner's lender and got the scoop. We already knew that he was supposedly moving here to work for the police dept. Turns out he did apply. He did pass the preliminary interview. All that was lacking was his drug test.

Apparently he's going tomorrow morning to get the drug test. Then he will be part of the police dept. and the sell of the house can commence. However being that he so hastily removed all of this belonging I'm suspicious that everything will work out. I guess only time will tell.

For now we just don't know what our next step is. *Sigh*


YVETTE said...

Wow that's crazy! Hmmm a police man to-be that doesn't want to take the drug test...good lord!! I hope everything works out for you Lauren, we are about to list our house so I will keep your situation in mind.

YVETTE said...

Hey Lauren just checking in to see what happened with the house...hope everything is ok